Silent condition that microorganisms or bacteria form a film on the surface of the tooth called bacterial dental plaque or a viscous and colorless substance on teeth, gums and tongue. It is popularly known as periodontal disease. Other factors, such as tobacco, diet, stress and certain diseases of the immune system can also influence.
The first level of the disease is gingivitis that starts with swelling of red gums and bleeds easily. The second stage, called periodontitis, is an inflammation that affects all teeth structures.
The progression of the disease, if left untreated, causes the teeth to move, fall or be removed.
Periodontal disease is treatable oral health with the solution in many cases. Treatment consists of several steps:
- Use the brush and floss. The patient learns how to remove plaque through proper brushing and flossing. This hygiene is recommended three times a day to do so.
- Scale. The calcified plaque commonly known as tartar is removed from the gums and the periodontal pocket.
- Surgery. Sometimes the practitioner must perform surgeries.
- Settings on lays, facets, bridges and dentures. If you are not well-done, you can promote plaque build-up.
- Maintenance. As a final step, it is the maintenance of paramount importance. Periodontal disease is prevented by good hygiene combined with visits to the dentist twice a year.
Also, you should know that it is not a treatment according to the severity of each case.
The typical signs of periodontal disease, among others, are: red, swollen or painful gums; gums that bleed during brushing or spontaneously; gingival recession and sensitivity to cold; persistent bad breath; mobility and movement of teeth; and painful repetition bumps.
The main reason why adults lose their teeth is periodontal disease, which, along with tooth decay, are the two most common mouth diseases and most often affects humans. In any extreme condition book an appointment at emergency dentist Reading.